- Israel’s top religious leader comes to Jesus and asks these two questions.
- Jesus was not out to debate theology with the religious leaders, he was out to tell the people the good news.
- The religious leaders had seen and heard about the miracle of Jesus, but they accused Jesus of being led by Satan (Matthew 12:24).
- Jesus answers with a question. The religious leaders don’t want to answer Jesus’ question because then they will have to admit that they didn’t receive John the Baptist as God’s messenger.
- By asking this counter-question, Jesus indirectly answers that his authority comes from God, just like John the Baptist.
- Unfortunately, a recurring theme was that Israel did not receive the prophets that God sent them (Mark 12:1-12).