- Jesus knew that he would die in Jerusalem, yet he courageously and unceasingly continued his mission, even “going ahead” (Mark 14:1).
- Even if the disciples did not understand Jesus’ mission 100%, they understood that something big was going on. They also knew that there were many who wanted to kill Jesus and so they were afraid as they approached Jerusalem.
- Even though the world around us seems to be falling apart, there is no safer place than near Jesus. The disciples were afraid, but they continued to follow Jesus.
- So that Jesus’ death would not come as a surprise to the disciples, Jesus once again prepares them for what is about to happen.
- The disciples, as well as the rest of the people, had a wrong preconception and thought that the Messiah would be a powerful king who liberates Israel in a worldly way.
- However, the disciples and the people should have known that Isaiah prophesied that the Messiah will suffer and die for the sake of the people (Is 53).