- When the Son was born a man, he took on the form of a “servant when he became a man” (Phil 2:6-8), thus making himself voluntarily dependent on his Father for knowledge of what he should do (John 5:19) and dependent on the Holy Spirit to do what the Father commanded (Acts 10:38).
- Jesus did this to fully share our human condition and to lead the way. We are Jesus’ disciples when we imitate Jesus, listen to the Father and live in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The parallels to the Old Testament are many:
- Moses was on Mount Sinai for 40 days without eating or drinking (Exodus 34:28).
- Elijah walked 40 days after a meal (1 Kings 19:8).
- Goliath mocked Israel for 40 days (1 Sam 17:16).
- Satan tempts Jesus with the same temptations that Eve fell to, the difference is that Jesus resists.
- Jesus was tempted, which shows that he is a man.
- Jesus resisted temptation and did not sin, which shows that he is God.