- The soldiers mockingly dress Jesus as a king and greet him as they greeted the Roman emperor.
- Jesus wearing the crown of thorns symbolizes that he bears the curse that mankind had to bear because of Adam’s sin (Genesis 3:17-18).
- According to John, the Romans scourged Jesus (John 19:1).
- When the Romans scourged those who were to be crucified, they tied the prisoner up and beat him with sticks or lashed him with sharp objects that tore the skin.
- That Jesus was severely scourged is shown by the fact that he could not carry his cross all the way himself (Mark 15:21).