- Jesus didn’t just want to heal the sick and teach in the synagogues. He also wanted to withdraw with his disciples and teach them even more deeply.
- A disciple of Jesus today also needs to withdraw from time to time to be alone with Jesus.
- Jesus had certainly made quite an impression on the people of Galilee and beyond.
- However, these people were more interested in what Jesus could do for them than who Jesus is.
- When Jesus eventually taught them a little more deeply, they left him (John 6:66).
- This is a fulfillment of what Isaiah prophesied the Messiah would do (Is 53:4).
- Jesus knew that when people understand that Jesus is the Messiah, they will want to make him king over Israel and then try to drive out the Roman occupiers (John 6:15).
- What the people did not know was that the Messiah will come to earth twice:
- The first time he came to earth, he acted as the suffering servant and died on the cross for our sins.
- The second time Jesus comes to earth, he will be king and fully establish his kingdom.
- The unclean spirits understood Jesus’ true identity.
- Neither the angels nor the demons are allowed to spread the message of Jesus because that mission has been given to the church (Matthew 28:18-20).