- Even the disciples had a wrong preconception and thought that the Messiah would be a powerful king who liberates Israel in a worldly way.
- So Jesus now begins to teach them the real story.
- Peter believed and confessed that Jesus is the Messiah, but he had a wrong preconception of what the Messiah would be like and therefore cannot accept the Messiah that Jesus describes.
- Jesus has just told the disciples that he will suffer, but Peter does not believe in Jesus.
- Isaiah has prophesied that the Messiah will suffer and die for the sake of the people (Is 53), but Peter ignores God’s word.
- If our human image of God does not fit, it is we who need to change our perception, not the other way around.
- We need to believe what Jesus says and learn God’s word even if it doesn’t fit our own worldview.
- Peter is not possessed by a demon, but he is influenced by Satan, who tries to create a false image of Jesus.
- It is my understanding that no Christian can be possessed by a demon or unclean spirit, this is because when a person becomes a Christian the Holy Spirit moves into that person and demons cannot possess a body where the Holy Spirit dwells (Rom 8:9). On the other hand, a Christian who is not vigilant can be influenced and deceived by Satan and his demons (Matt 16:21-23). James therefore gives the good advice, “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7).